Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Fast Lane" in Berlin

I wanted to continue with my series on the contemporary public art in Germany’s Hot Spots, as I did with TUM slides in Munich. These fun art installations give culture to otherwise dull structures, such as university buildings or subway stations. In this post, I want to share with you Volkswagen’s Fun Theory. The project is dedicated to making everyone’s life as simple, as easy, and as fun as possible. They want personal, environment-friendly, and entirely different projects that will upgrade our lives. The award entries are truly fascinating and makes me wish I came up with the ideas myself. Most of their installations have been in Stockholm, Sweden with Piano Stairs, Speed Camera Lottery, and Bottle Bank Arcade Machine. All these projects promote good behaviors for the soceity in a creative way that compels you to do it. I love it!




Alexanderplatz's subway station in Berlin has one of these projects, called the Fast Lane. Commuters have the choice to either take the escalator, the stairs or the slide down to the lower level. The Fast Lane is “dedicated to everyone who loves to go beyond the regular, who is curious for new stuff and who simply enjoys to speed it all up a little,” Volkswagen said. Can you imagine how much fun if NYC had a slide in their Times Square station?! The blogger of the Roosevelt Islander thought so too. I'll have to make up an excuse when I am in Berlin to go to the Alexanderplatz station to zip down the slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment