Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How-to: Airbnb

I might have to say that Airbnb is the best tool in traveling today. The company, founded in 2008 in San Francisco, is a community for people who list and book unique accommodations around the world. I used Airbnb to book my accommodations last summer in France and Italy and even within the states for two family vacations.  Each experience has been an incredible way to connect with people from around the world to create a unique travel experience. In my case, I was able to stay with locals from the cities I was visiting, as opposed to scouring around for a dirty hostel. To name a few, I lived a week in Paris in a four-bedroom loft, two days in Florence in a villa, and a week with my mother in the Outer Banks in a beach box. I am going to walk you through how easy it is to use Airbnb with my tips and tricks. I have used screen shots from my search for my Berlin accommodations to help you better understand.

How to Book on Airbnb

  • Search the location of your travel destination. Add your travel dates and choice of room type.

  • Use the left column to narrow down your search by using the feature of the map gadget, price index, neighborhood, amenities and keywords.


  • On each post, explore the room type, extra charges, minimum stay, weekly price, etc.


  • Message potential hosts with any questions through the onsite messaging system. Even by sending them a message I have gotten a discount on my stay.


  • Add the places you like to your Wish List, so it is easy to find it again.


  • Review the hosts’ cancellation policy and house rules before booking.

  • “Book it!” and enter your credit card information.


  • Within 24 hours, the host will accept your request and only at that point will the exact address and contact information be shared.


  • Contact host about arrival details (check-in time, key exchange) before you leave for your trip.

  • Enjoy your stay!! After, be sure to share your experience so other travelers can rate your experience.



To me, Airbnb is the best of both worlds. You get the opportunity to meet new people, as you would in a hostel, and the best location you want, as you would in a hostel, all for a reasonable price. And bonus! All the apartments I have stayed in have had a stocked kitchen for my use. Being able to save a couple bucks (or euros) on meals makes a huge difference on a traveler’s budget. Yes, I will eat breakfast and lunch at home so I that can buy those fabulous shoes I saw at the market!

1 comment: